Migration to SharePoint Office 3605

M

Marco_Levy

We are trying to migrate our file server to Office 365 SharePoint. Does GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise have the ability for us to point from our server straight to Office 365 SharePoint?

Should we use App Authorization or User Authentication? I saw that in the manual. Was not sure which one to use. They both seem to work.

Hello Marco,
Thank you for reaching out. Yes, you are able to copy from your file server directly to SharePoint online (Office 365) using GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise.

You can use either app authorization or user authentication. Based on Microsoft's recommendation, if you have a lot of files to transfer, then you should consider using App Authorization as it does not get throttled as much by MS. App Authentication requires to be an administrator office 365 account.

Let us know if you have any further questions or need any guidance.

I know exactly what you are talking about. We do have a lot of files and App Authentication is certainly the way to go. I did not see that option with the other competition, it was only offering user authentication. That is why I was not clear.

Microsoft offers both user authentication and app authorization. MS clearly states that for large jobs to use App authentication as it is throttled less since it is being viewed as a batch processing job as opposed to user authentication which would be treated as normal user activity so it gets throttled more.

As to what our competitors not offering app authentication, it is a limitation on their part or maybe they are not designed to support larger sized jobs.

Just to give you an update, the app authentication really worked flawlessly and the throughput is steady.

P.S. the competitor we were testing had really low throughput and they blamed it on our connection. Their price was very steep compared to yours.

I really appreciate your software and support.

Thank you for your positive feedback. In terms of migrating to SharePoint or OneDrive, they recommend that you do it after hours or over the weekend to avoid getting throttled. They throttle if their resource "cluster" is under pressure. So, anytime you can do it after hours, it is going to be your best chance to get a consistent throughput.

Back